Program featured Annual “Youth of the Year” Awards recognizing Club kids who demonstrate
exemplary character and leadership
(Dec. 11, 2018) — In celebration of Boys & Girls Clubs of the Austin Area (BGCAA) youth and to honor those whose actions consistently exemplify the mission of Boys & Girls Clubs, the organization hosted its annual “Angels Among Us” Breakfast on Friday, Dec. 7 at the Hyatt Regency Austin.
“Our Angels Among Us Breakfast provides a wonderful opportunity for us to shine a light on the kids who make our Clubs so special,” said Potter. “We consider it a privilege to honor their accomplishments and share their stories of personal challenges, growth and leadership, which inspire us every day.”
As a dedicated forum for spotlighting Austin-area Club youth and their respective journeys, the Angels Among Us Breakfast featured the “Youth of the Year” Awards—recognizing the 2019 Youth of the Year and 2019 Junior Youth of the Year nominees and finalists as well as announcing the winners. The event program also included speeches by the winner and runner-up, and the presentation of youth scholarships made possible by the Austin Boys & Girls Clubs Foundation and Austin Sonic Drive-Ins.
Additionally, the Angels Among Us Breakfast included the “Champions of Youth” Awards, which celebrate the extraordinary supporters, volunteers and staff in the Greater Austin community who help make BGCAA Austin’s leading youth development agency.
About Youth of the Year:
Each year, two exceptional Club members are selected to represent BGCAA, one as Youth of the Year (high school) and one as Junior Youth of the Year (middle school). Youth of the Year serves as both an exemplary ambassador for Boys & Girls Club youth and a strong voice for all of Austin’s young people. Youth of the Year winners will go on to compete for an opportunity to serve as a BGCAA regional ambassador in the annual search for Boys & Girls Clubs of America spokespeople to be recognized on a national stage.
2019 Youth of the Year
- Winner: Abraham C. – Boys & Girls Club at MLK
- Runner-Up: Kenneth B. Jr. – Boys & Girls Club at Lanier High School
- Nominee: Me’Aisha L. – Boys & Girls Club at LBJ High School
- Nominee: Guadalupe G. – Boys & Girls Club at Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders
2019 Junior Youth of the Year
- Winner: Marcelus M. – Boys & Girls Club at Burnet Middle School
- Runner-up: Nathen L. – Boys & Girls Club at Elgin Middle School
- Nominee: Angel D. – Boys & Girls Club at Webb Middle School
- Nominee: Kius F. – Boys & Girls Club at Gus Garcia Young Men’s Leadership Academy
- Nominee: Francis H. – Boys & Girls Club at Daily Middle School
- Nominee: La’Naycia F. – Boys & Girls Club at Bertha Sadler Means Young Women’s Leadership Academy
- Nominee: Susanna L. – Boys & Girls Club at Chalmers Court
About Champions of Youth:
The Champions of Youth Awards recognize those who share their time, talent or treasure in service of the BGCAA mission.
2018 Champions of Youth Honorees
- Champion of Youth – Boys & Girls Clubs of the Austin Area Staff: Janie Samarripa
- Champion of Youth – Volunteer: Dean Johnson
- Champion of Youth – Corporate & Business: Charles Schwab with ambassador Patrick Means
- Champion of Youth – Foundation & Nonprofit: Prime Time
- Champion of Youth – Individual: Kristi Reynolds & Anna Stevens, American Campus Communities Staff